Skip to main content

People You May Know


I just spend some time on the right side of my Facebook wall. After hitting the tiny little cross for about 5 minutes I didn't come across anyone I actually know. There were a couple women I should get to know, but really, all strangers. 
I seem to know a couple of people that know a lot of people but apparently I don’t know them well enough to be introduced to their friends. Or maybe I’m just not interesting enough to be introduced to their friends, in that case the heading should be, People You Would Know If You Were More Interesting. 

The heading is stupid anyway for a website that has an interest to connect as many people as possible, People You May Know, sounds way to tentative. I bet that section would see a lot more action if they call it, People You Should Know. Users would go into clicking frenzies, “I should know these people, why don’t I know these people, why don’t these people know me. I’m more interesting then this person, he should know me” click-click-click-click. 

With some people that flew by in my 5 minutes of browsing I couldn’t wait to click the little cross. Reluctantly I’d still click the link, 2 mutual friends. I know people that know this person?! Is there a section People You Shouldn’t Know? Or no, that would be too forward of course, People You May Not Want To Know. Much better. 

How many people do we actually know that we have on our Friends List? In order for someone to qualify as a friend it would be fair to say that we at least have to know the person reasonably well. Sure, I realize we can’t very well call the thing People I’m Vaguely Familiar With List, even though that would be a much more accurate description. 

I think the number will actually become a means to an end. Something like a Facebook blue USB dongle necklace with your friend count on it, you know to show of how social you are. 
In a couple of years you’ll have to say the number in introductions, “Hi, I’m Thomas 154”, “Hi Thomas, I’m Lara 2032. I’m sorry but I’m here with someone”. Sounds like that wouldn’t be such a sweet deal for me but actually it works out well, the end result remains the same I just saved myself buying drinks and dinner which wouldn’t have had any return on investment. Besides I still have time for a movie after I mastrubate (Pages is marking mastrubate as a mis spelled word, why does it include fuck but not mastrubate?!?! I’m pretty sure mastrubation is way more common than fucking). 

Anyway, tomorrow I’ll be seeing my psychiatrist again for the first time in 5 months. It gets pretty depressing when you have to start paying people to listen to you. But I remain optimistic my ambition is to turn it around, you know, have people paying me for talking to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kiss us or we’ll pull your pants down (part 1 of 2)

“Life is not what one lived, but what one remembers and how one remembers it in order to recount it.” G.G. Marquez In a house hold with tree guys, one girl and a single mother there’s always something going on. For the first 11 years we lived in a suburb of Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Calling it a suburb is really not very descriptive for what it was, a better description would be, a modern built ghetto with a subway connection. Growing up in the city might be dangerous because of traffic and the ever shrinking room to play, our suburb was mostly dangerous because of kids and their cruel sense of humor. Sometimes we’d get carried away and join in, there have been occasions where one of my brothers pied over his toys to make sure the other kids wouldn’t touch or steal it. A very effective technique. On the other hand this technique was also utilized by other boys on your toys. I just played with my sisters dolls and developed a keen eye for yellow staining. Most of the time I just

Life has become so easy we made it hard on ourselves

I've screwed up a fair amount of relationships in my years. The previous sentence is more popularly written as: "I've been so unlucky in love, I always seem to meet the wrong person".  However there comes a point where you have to look back and go, hmm yeah that was number 16 failing maybe it's something I'm doing wrong. This post is a culmination of, my own experiences over the past 4 years, intense contemplation over the last 2 months and an inspiring book I read which managed to structure my thinking on the subject (link supplied at the bottom of this post). Although I wrote it mostly for myself I hope that readers of this post can see some sense in these words. “All that we are is the result of what we have thought" - Gautama Buddha It can be very empowering taking responsibility for your own fuck ups. Especially when you're done bitching and moaning to your friends about it. Which is a necessary step in the process to recover

Failed gamer review of Resident Evil 7 Biohazard

My review as a failed gamer of Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (isn't that two words?!). Started up the game with a pounding heart. Entered the first area, darkroom flashlight lit only. Ambiance: grany died a horrific death by a rabie infested shih-tzu many moons ago, the kids never helped her with the household. Making a 360 in the room had my heart pounding... After 5 minutes I sprinted to the exit, clicked the action button to open the door and ran back. The door only opened a crack. Gave myself a pep talk and with one eye closed ran against the half open door into the hallway, crapped my pants and switched of the computer. Ambiance : 10/10 Graphics : 10/10 Play-ability : 0/10 Story : Way to freaking scary  😨 http://residentevil7.com/